Thursday, April 12, 2012

You scream, I scream

We all scream for...

Popsicles?

Wait, that's not how it goes! Ah, who cares.

I've decided to get on the homemade popsicle train early this year. The Florida sun never sleeps, and with March setting damn near record highs.. yeah, it's time! I picked up two molds at Wal-Mart for $2 each. They have silly little "sippers" on them (for the melted liquid - good if you have kids, I guess) but they do the job. I really wanted to mimic these delicious babies since I haven't been able to find them in a few years. My version got the job done, but it wasn't as rich and the coconut shreds all settled in the bottom of the mold [being the top of the pop]. I had also just cut a fresh pineapple the day before so I figured pina colada was also in order.

Coconut and Pina Colada Paletas:
[Note: this recipe was used to fill both molds - each with 4 cavities. If you are only filling 1 mold, omit the extra milk]

»1 can of coconut milk
»approx ½ of the can refilled with So Delicious plain coconut milk [dairy alternative, not the canned stuff like above]
»1-2 tablespoons of powdered sugar

•Mix this up in a bowl and pour into the molds - easy breezy! Take what's left over and either add pineapple juice or puree' the hell out of some fresh pineapple until you have enough to fill them up [which is what I did].

And then about a week later...

I had some fruits that have been hanging out for a bit too long, so I made use of them as well.

Strawberry Lemonade Pops
[Note: these are tart! You can sugar your mixture up but I wanted mine without]

»approx 5-6 large strawberries, cut up
»4 Meyer lemons, cut in half (or any lemon, really)

•Juice & squeeze the lemons into oblivion, then add ¼-½ cup of water
•Toss the berries into the blender with a touch of water - pulse until they look more like a pulp and add the lemon juice. Puree' the hell out of it and dump into your molds. Voila!



No comments:

Post a Comment